Thursday, February 21, 2013

Confessions of a Comma Junkie

Ok, I admit it, I’m a comma junkie. I write mainly by the seat of my pants, my fingers flying across the keyboard and barely (not always) keeping up with the words flowing through my head. And I can type faster than I can hurriedly scrawl illegible scribbles mimicking words.


.

Apparently I like commas. I mean I REALLY like commas. I don’t worry about things like sentence structure, punctuation, and spellings when I write. Later I’ll get a good laugh at the ridiculous suggestions Spellcheck gives me that often rendered sentences moot. All that can get fixed in editing after the story is written.

.

I just let the words flow as they will, living in the moment of the story, and trying my best to type fast enough to keep up.

When I go back and edit afterwards, it’s a cornucopia of commas everywhere that I didn’t even know I put in.

Even on the fourth and fifth rounds of editing I still find myself removing excess commas.

Digg!

No comments: